night shelter

In the US, the term ‘shelter’ is used to cover all forms of sheltered accommodation, including those that in the UK would be termed hostels, foyers or refuges, half-way houses and long-term supported accommodation (see below).

To avoid confusion, we propose to use the term ‘night shelter’ for services that offer night-by-night (or ‘direct access’) accommodation.